Programming Manager- City Library
The Programming Manager creates positive and memorable guest experiences that reflect the library’s mission (We provide lifelong education and build a stronger community) and vision (We provide a welcoming and forward-thinking place where all City residents can have educational, enlightening, and enjoyable experiences). The Programming Manager is fully aware of the Strategic Plan, its annual goals and objectives, and helps direct the work of library staff to achieve the library’s stated goals. The responsibilities of the Programming Manager include:
- Overseeing the Programming department,
- Serving as an example for all staff as a provider of positive and memorable guest service, and
- Ensuring that each guest’s experience with library services is positive and memorable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists every guest willingly and respectfully, in accordance with the Library’s Guest Care Policy.
- Meets or exceeds the City’s Public Library Performance Standards.
- Demonstrates an applied understanding of the City’s Public Library service competencies.
- Oversees all functions of the Programming department, under the direction of the Library Director.
- Supervises and evaluates all direct reports.
- Develops, applies, and upholds the City’s Public Library performance standards for Programming staff.
- Assists at all guest service stations and other departments when possible.
- May assist other staff with the development and execution of classes and events.
- Reviews and analyzes department operations and revises as needed.
- Schedules department staff to ensure proper staffing of department and classes.
- Prioritizes assignments for department staff and volunteers to enhance service to library guests.
- Oversees and participates in the development, preparation, and presentation of cohesive and sustainable classes and events (which are either in-person, virtual, or recorded) that reflect community interests to residents who attend events at the Library and through outreach opportunities community-wide.
- Maintains awareness of the building’s condition and actively works to create a positive, clean, and welcoming atmosphere for guests.
- Assumes additional department duties in the absence of the Library Director, as assigned.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual library budget, as needed.
- Assists guests with various library-related technologies, the use of library resources, and reader’s advisory.
- Creates and maintains an appropriate section of the Library’s operation manual.
- Works with City departments and external agencies to provide enhanced services to library guests.
- Successfully completes the delivery of library materials to guests through what may be non-traditional methods such as curbside pickup, concierge service, and Doorstep Delivery.
- Actively seeks opportunities to promote the Library and its services.
- Works with fellow staff to promote the library through various methods, such as library newsletters, email campaigns, videos, and social media.
- Utilizes the Library’s current Technology Plan to maintain existing technologies and incorporate emerging technologies into library service.
- Recommends for hire or selects, trains, prioritizes tasks, works with, and evaluates department staff and volunteers to enhance service to library guests.
- Works with fellow supervisors to ensure positive guest experiences by identifying and providing training programs for library staff.
- Serves as liaison to LYNX! consortium groups and other collective organizations on matters concerning library-related services, as needed.
- May participate in the collection development of one or more collections, as determined appropriate and as needed by the Library Director.
- Provides thorough guest service by referring complex issues to the supervisor to ensure positive and memorable guest experiences.
- Assists library guests with all borrowing functions and account issues, including:
- providing guests with guidance in borrowing materials,
- locating and reserving library materials,
- assisting library guests with the payment of fines and fees,
- issuing appropriate library accounts,
- resolving account issues,
- searching for lost and traced items,
- processing and charging library accounts for items returned damaged,
- processing reserved daily holds and maintaining the holds shelves,
- performing catalog item maintenance through lost and trace reports,
- assisting with the processing of missing parts,
- cleaning and troubleshooting the automated materials handling system, and
- accepting donations, as necessary.
- May prepare for production of, and execute printing of, guest 3D print requests, as necessary.
- Provides service to library guests through the processing of library materials.
- Performs all essential shelving functions, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability and willingness to work cooperatively in a management team setting.
- Ability and willingness to direct, coordinate and evaluate the work of library staff utilizing the principles outlined in the Guest Care Policy, the Competencies, and Performance Standards.
- Ability and willingness to utilize strong guest service skills to create positive, memorable guest experiences.
- Ability and willingness to accurately assess situations and to be flexible when responding to guests and fellow library employees.
- Ability and willingness to keep the needs of guests at the forefront while:
- displaying a positive approach to interacting with the public,
- working independently,
- efficiently and effectively completing assigned tasks, and
- making decisions independently as appropriate.
- Ability and willingness to adapt to and use constantly changing technology in the performance of job duties.
- Ability and willingness to assist library guests and fellow library employees with new library-related technologies.
- Ability, willingness, and desire to consistently learn new skills and increase guest service abilities.
- Ability and willingness to develop, prepare, and present classes and events for audiences of all ages.
- Ability and willingness to communicate effectively.
- Possession of, and ability and willingness to apply, advanced knowledge of adult and children’s literature.
- Ability and willingness to learn and apply an understanding of child development (age-appropriate resources and developmental practices).
- Ability and willingness to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions, and make sound recommendations for further action.
- Ability and willingness to train library staff to provide contemporary, efficient, and effective library service.
- Ability and willingness to learn, and accurately carry out, shelving
- Ability and willingness to continually update both library science and technology skills.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (Master of Science in Library Science, Master of Library Science, Master of Arts in Library and Information Science, Master of Information Science, or other library science master’s degree) from an American Library Association accredited institution.
- Three (3) years of supervisory experience working in a public library setting and directly with the public.
- Two years of professional public library service experience to youth and their families and two years of demonstrated increase in responsibility in a public library preferred.
- Experience applying contemporary philosophies of public library service principles, practices, techniques, materials, and technology preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of adult and children’s literature is preferred.
- Prior experience presenting classes or events to various age groups preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
$53,600-$58,300 annually, DOE.
Why work for Personnel Plus, Inc.
- As the area's largest Staffing Service, we value adding you as a member to our great team
- Your application will be considered for many urgent openings
- Apply Today - Work Today
- Flex pay - choose Direct Deposit, pay card, or paper check
- Health Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance
- Referral Hiring Incentives
- We never charge a fee
Trust our employment professional to be your advocate and help find that ideal position for you!