Wastewater Treatment Operator
Under the direction of general supervision, performs a variety of skilled technical work in the operation of the wastewater treatment facility. Responsible for following standard procedures for accurate process control and laboratory testing, with an emphasis on maintaining compliance with established water quality standards through the effective operation of all equipment involved in the wastewater treatment process. Works under the guidance of a licensed wastewater operator.
- Operates equipment commonly found in wastewater treatment facilities such as clarifiers, blowers, pumps, and disinfection equipment along with solids handling.
- Collects samples following established procedures and performs routine laboratory analysis and process control tests on wastewater, sludge, and biosolids such as BOD, TSS, DO, PH and temperatures, microbiological examination, and identification-base—bacteria testing as required to monitor and maintain water quality standards.
- Accurately observes, calculates, and interprets results of laboratory and process control tests and takes corrective action to ensure compliance with established water quality standards and NPDESS permits.
- Accurately reads and records information from various gauges and meters associated with the treatment plant.
- Performs general housekeeping duties and grounds maintenance.
- Cleans tanks, aeration basins, and buildings.
- Perform safety inspections of and operate equipment and machinery.
- Report defects and irregularities to the supervisor.
- Receive and respond to inquiries and complaints from customers and the general public regarding wastewater service.
- Respond to emergency calls after regular working hours, on an as-needed basis, for both wastewater department and community-wide emergencies.
- Work odd hours and on holidays as the job duties require.
- Maintains effective working relationships with plant staff, outside vendors, regulatory agencies, other City departments, and the general public.
- Maintain pumps, valves, and related equipment in wastewater pumping stations.
- Trains and provides general direction as needed to less experienced treatment plant employees assisting with operation and maintenance work.
- Carry and respond to after-hours emergency cell phones for a 7-day period on a rotating basis.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Math Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Mechanical skills.
- Technical skills.
- Customer/Client Focus.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This position works in all types of climates, both indoors and outdoors. Work may be performed in adverse weather and environmental conditions. Employees are subject to shift work, may work alone, and will be subject to perform on-call duties. This position works in potentially hazardous environments, which may involve exposure to dangerous chemicals.
The physical demand described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Requires the ability to exert a considerable amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects and to stoop, crouch, climb, and lift in the performance of manual labor; to operate a variety of tools, equipment, and vehicles; to work around electrical equipment in a safe manner. Tasks require color and visual perception and discrimination, as well as oral communication ability. Employees in this position may be required to use a respirator and/or a self-contained breathing apparatus.
Position Type/ Expect Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Frequent evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Will be subject to performing on-call duties 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
Equivalent to a High School Diploma. Must have a CDL Class B within six months of hire. Must maintain an Idaho Treatment Class Three License.
Preferred Education and Experience.
Equivalent to a High School Diploma. Hold an Idaho State Wastewater Treatment Operator Class Three License. Make arithmetical calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentage, and ratio calculations. Establish residence within a 20-minute response time to the wastewater Department building within six months of the date of hire.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must maintain insurability under the City’s vehicle operator’s insurance policy. Must possess and maintain the State of Idaho Wastewater Treatment Operator Class One License—experience in the repair of mechanical equipment and experience in public relations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience Equivalent to a High School Diploma. Must have a CDL Class B within six months of hire. Must maintain an Idaho Treatment Class Three License.
Preferred Education and Experience. Equivalent to a High School Diploma. Hold an Idaho State Wastewater Treatment Operator Class Three License. Make arithmetical calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentage, and ratio calculations. Establish residence within a 20-minute response time to the wastewater Department building within six months of the date of hire. Additional Eligibility Qualifications Must maintain insurability under the City’s vehicle operator’s insurance policy. Must possess and maintain a State of Idaho Wastewater Treatment Operator Class One License. Experience in the repair of mechanical equipment and experience in public relations.
Why work for Personnel Plus, Inc.
- As the area's largest Staffing Service, we value adding you as a member of our great team
- Your application will be considered for many urgent openings
- Apply Today - work today
- Flex pay - choose Direct Deposit, pay card, or paper check
- Health Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance
- Referral Hiring Incentives
- We never charge a fee
Trust our employment professional to be your advocate and help find that ideal position for you!